Friday, January 15, 2016

Another Life Lesson

I was working on a piece last week that I thought I might submit to a show.  I knew it needed more work but I wanted an outside opinion so I showed it to my husband.  Not a great idea.  The feedback was that there was too much bright color and it needed to be toned down.   Color, lots of it, bright, rich, full of flavor color is what I respond to, what moves me, what excites me.  For some reason, I didn't trust my intuition about the piece and I changed it into something that was not at all a reflection of me.  So I kept working at it and trying to perfect it.  I ended up feeling frustrated and annoyed with myself.  Should I cut it up, I wondered, throw it out, set it on fire?  Well, that's a bit dramatic.   Today, I sat down again and decided to just play and not worry about the outcome.  This was for me and it needed to flow from me.  I took the pressure off myself.  This was not going to be for a show, or for someone elses' approval.  Yet another reminder about trusting myself,  listening to my own voice, and trusting my own inner wisdom.  I transformed the piece that was initially blocking me and what I came up with felt right for me.  I don't know if it is finished, but it was fun to create and it's all mine.




One of the revisions that I did not like


What I ended up with






2 comments: